Thursday 12 March 2015

Vocabulary issues? Memrise is there for you!

Hello everybody

Today, I would like to tell you about a great tool I've recently discovered: Memrise.

I don't know about you, but it's always been difficult for me to find the time and motivation to study vocabulary. I am one of those lazy learners who will always choose the easy way; and so far, with vocabulary, the only easy way was to read loads of things and just absorb the words and their meaning from context. It is of course efficient, but not enough.

And then, I discovered Memrise.

Memrise is a website / application to help people memorize their vocabulary in any language that they want to learn. All you have to do is to register for the a "course" that you choose according to your level, and then learn!

The programme teaches you a limited number of words at a time, and then makes you practice them over and over again until they become a part of your long-term memory. After a couple of days, they send you an e-mail to say that it's time now to refresh your memory, or as they put it "to water" your knowledge.

I have tried it myself and followed an advanced course for native speakers, and I must say that it really works. More than an month after having learnt new words, I still remember them. 

And the best part it: it's completely free! Of course you can pay a certain amount of money to access the VIPs, but I didn't find this as absolutely necessary.

Here's the link to the website: https://www.memrise.com

As a teacher, I'm planning to create a course myself soon, and I will keep you posted as to when it's available! Keep posted!

See you soon,

Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment