Sunday 1 September 2013

Back to school

September is back and so is school. I don't know about you, but I've always been inspired by September. Autumn is coming, which is one of my favourite seasons ever with its beautiful red-orange leaves falling and the last rays of sunlight shining through them. 

Also, there is something about summer that rhymes with being lazy. I don't know about other teachers, but summer always equates with "I have no energy" for me; which of course bothers me because there are always a million things I would love to do. So, September is always welcome as it gives me that "kick in the pants" that I need at some point. And the result is this blog having a brand new design! Tadaam. I don't know about you guys, but I love it.

So, for those of you who have followed the hesitating debuts of this blog this summer, worry no more, for I will publish one article a week on various subjects according to my inspiration: that is my "september resolution", it's a promise! And to the others, welcome welcome! 

If, like me and the students I am going to meet next week, you are "going back to school", here are a couple of tips to help you manage efficiently and peacefully.

1) Set realistic goals: it's important to have ambition and to know where you want to be next year, but it has to be realistic. Sometimes, I see students who start a level 3 with me and feel discouraged when they learn there are 12 levels in the school system. You don't need to do 12 levels to be able to speak English. I would say that most people speak acceptable English around level 5, which you can reach at your own pace. So, the first thing would be to know what you want and to see in how long that goal is achievable.

2) Make an appointment with yourself to study: If you go to a school, if you come to my classes or if you just follow this blog, it doesn't matter: you need to study. Of course, most of you have a job and lives full of important things and it is sometimes difficult to find the time to do homework. Going to school, to classes or following a blog, is already a good start. Unfortunately, if there is no background work, your new knowledge is not going to last. Pick a day, any day, where you can spend 60 minutes revising what you have learned that week, to make all your efforts worth it.

3) Sleep: yes, sleep. Apprenticeship needs sleep. It is during your sleep that your brain registers what has happened during the day. If you lack sleep, you won't remember as much.

That's it for now! I'm off to work on your next subject, which promises to be... musical! 

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment