Thursday 20 June 2013

End of an academic year

That's it, academic year 2012-2013 is over. I am very happy to say that all my students that have taken their exams have also succeeded them. Today was the celebration of their success and the announcement of the birth of this blog. I don't know if all the teachers feel the same way I do, but every year, in June, on the last day, I cry. Some say I'm too sensitive and they are probably right, but I don't mind. I don't mind being touched by people. I don't mind them having an impact on me and perhaps on my perception of life. In this way, I can honestly say that doing my job is not a selfless deed at all: it's an exchange. I bring people something they need (or at least I hope I do) and in return, they bring me something priceless: their humanity.

I won't forget José Luis for being everyday stressed by his modern house-husband life, and trying to discreetly leave the classroom to pick up his children from school on time. The shy and funny Antoinette, who bravely continued coming to every class she could despite her job and who bravely adapted to the Belgian weather. Cookie, the chocolate girl from Korea studying for her final exams and for my English classes at the same time, who I'm sure will be a great chocolate maker - for the world is never too sweet. Sophie, who thinks she has a difficult personality but ends up being really funny and sociable. Roland and Julio, the two students on the first row, carefully paying attention to my classes and Julio getting angry at Roland when he would make a mistake. Aude, the humanitarian girl who tried and tried and finally got to be fluent in English. Jenifer from Brazil, finding English so difficult but managing pretty well in the end, hoping that it will help you sing the songs you love so much. Kind-hearted Joana who always thought she wasn't good enough but wasn't half-bad. Maria and Reilda, the girls with the same second name who come from different families in different countries but both speak Portuguese. I wish Maria to go back to India as she wished, and Reilda to have a wonderful life as a newly married woman. Gaëlle, the insect girl who drinks strong beer, who you should meet through her new business "bugsinmugs". Karima, who would like to go back to her family in Morocco if only there was a good job for her there. Alfonso, who studies music and doesn't understand French but says yes to everything with this easy-going look that Spanish people tend to have. Mohamed, with his heart in his deep eyes who will teach me to drive one day. Jean-Claude, who lives for rock music and didn't get married because it's too conventional. Rock on Jean-Claude! Abdel who always tried to be as quiet as a mouse when he arrived late in class because of his hard job. Umer who was only 16 but wanted to go study in UK for a year. Melina, quiet as a mouse but with a smile on her lips that can only be shared. Eugenio from Italy who speaks for a hundred, like a "vero italiano", but who isn't afraid of expressing his opinions. Catherine, the social worker with the thousand colors clothes, who has a thing for making people feel comfortable. And her sister, Marie, the forever-stressed French-teacher who realized the misery her students must undergo for her exams when she took mine.

You are beautiful. All of you.

2 comments:

  1. This touching post makes me remind that cloudy afternoon seeing "Into the wild" and crying in silence, while our hearts were beating at full speed. And Jessica, you can be proud of your humanity too. (http://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film966177.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful comment. You always have the words to make people speechless, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete